Saturday, June 21, 2008

I wonder if they hire freelancers?

I watch a lot of TV. Lately, two things have happened that make me wonder if I can parlay my TV-watching into something more lucrative.

On VH1's "Best Week Ever" this morning, there was a bit about some rapper thanking his fans for making his latest album a success. The bit was about the general incoherence of the rapper's thank you speech, and Sherrod Small (one of the "Best Week Ever" folks) trying unsuccessfully to translate it. The speech itself was so incoherent, we put on the closed captioning. And that's when the real fun began. First, instead of "Sherrod Small", the captions listed the BWE guy as "Sir Rodriguez Small". Then, at a particularly unintelligible part of the speech, the captioning offered this translation: [mumbling].

*sigh*

We have AT&T's U-verse, and on the whole I love it. But there is one aspect of their TV service that annoys me: the descriptions of the TV programs. They're riddled with typos (yesterday, describing an episode of "Man vs. Wild", I was informed that Bear would be killing a rabbi), run-on sentences and general misinformation. Maybe distilling a half-hour of programming into 20 words or less is more challenging than it sounds, but I don't think so.

No comments: