Apparently, he's not the only designer who is strongly anti-Papyrus.
A quick Google search revealed that Papyrus is on more than a few "most wanted" lists:
- Modern Life lambastes not only Papyrus but also four other poor unsuspecting fonts (it's unfortunate that Modern Life hasn't been updated since 2007, because it seems like there might be some good advice in it for writers as well as designers).
- Here's another list of The Ten Most Over Used Fonts in Design.
- This list stopped at seven. Perhaps blogger Lauren McMahon was too disgusted to continue.
- Not only does Papyrus Watch record instances of Papyrus abuse, it does so using the very same font it maligns. Well-played!
- I'm on the fence as to whether I [heart] Papyrus is intended to be sarcastic or if Joe Wagner does, indeed, heart Papyrus. You decide.
And finally, there's a Facebook group called Down With PAPYRUS font! It currently boasts 349 members. Perhaps my art director friend can become #350.